It's an idea I have been playing around with for years now, but have never really made the jump to do so. A few years ago Aaron did the Atkins diet to lose weight, so I decided to just do it with him: no sense in preparing two meals. He lost weight, I got sick.
I have been getting serious into bodybuilding lately: not bulky, just losing body fat and sculpting my muscles. I am enjoying it a lot, and really love the way I am starting to look. A lot of bodybuilding diets consist of mostly chicken, talapia and veggies. I tried it. I had my macros right where I wanted them - things were going great........ then I started to get sick. My stomach was hurting so bad every night I had to just lay on the couch miserable. I felt bloated, constipated and tired. I would try to go for a run and would have to hash it out instead of enjoying it. I felt like I was walking around with a rotting brick in my gut.
Then, I was out on my run yesterday and had an epiphany. This all started when I changed my diet, and has progressively been getting worse. I remembered my Atkins experience and realized I was heading down that same road and would be right back where I was with that soon if I didn't change something soon. It hit me. My body hates meat as much as I do.
I had a naturopath tell me something once that has stuck with me, and came to the fore front of my mind as I was thinking about all of this on my run. He said that usually if you are allergic to something you don't like it: it's your bodies way of telling you not to eat it. I truly don't like meat. Every once in a blue moon I like it - a big juicy hamburger or something - but I like a garden burger just as well. Thanksgiving? In my opinion the only thing a turkey is good for is the gravy it makes. I'll take the stuffing and mashed potatoes all day long over a big slab of turkey.
So, I have made the decision to go vegetarian. No more meat flesh for me. I am still on the fence with fish, but for now I will probably not even eat that. I will continue to eat eggs and dairy: vegans are just too weird and I feel that is too extreme and not healthy. So, Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism is where I am going to light for a while. I'm still going to play with the diet and macros to make sure I'm still getting enough protein, so that I don't lose any muscle, but no more meat for me.
Decision made. And, I feel pretty good about this, at least for now. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:
Post a Comment