I am finally home from my whirl-wind week. Sunday night my uncle Jerry passed away from cancer. Mom had been down in California taking care of him for the last three weeks and called with the news. Kris and I were on a plane the following day to get down to her and help her settle his affairs and bring her home. It was a very long four days, but I am glad I went. It took us two days of really hard driving, but home we are now.
Right before we left on Tuesday, the Art Institute of Orange County where Jerry worked, had a memorial service for him. I think it was really good for mom to have this, since we are not having a funeral for him here. There were about 40 people there and they spent time sharing memories and experiences they had with Jerry. Then, they had a surprise that they unveiled to us:
Jerry was the head librarian for their school. He spent the last 8 years building their library and making it the best library in all of the Art Institute campuses. The main offices of the AI did two thing for Jerry
1. They started a scholarship in his name and
2. They are renaming the library that Jerry worked so hard on to "The Gerald W. Dubuque Memorial Library".
That brought a little tear to my eye. He deserves it, and I am very proud of him. It makes me very happy to know that a little piece of him will always be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment