I have been really stressing over getting my garden in the last few weeks. As June gets closer and closer and I have had no window to work with, I was starting to wonder if I was even going to get one this year. I also have to admit that after the last two years I was even beginning to wonder if I wanted to do it this year. Yields have been super low, weeds high, and patience thin.
We aren't exactly starting out the year great either. With this April being the coldest on record and now we are currently sitting on the longest it has taken to reach 70 degrees (still not there yet) things are not looking up. We have had two days of good weather though - 60 degrees and not raining is good for us right now! - I couldn't resist. It just feels wrong not having my garden.
I am trying to convert my garden a little bit each year into more of a flower/vegetable garden instead of just veggies. With it just being Aaron and I soon (the kids won't really eat veggies anyway) we can't eat all of the produce we grow. I also want it to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, a place where I can go and just enjoy being: a place I want to weed because I just love spending time there. It is extremely expensive though, so I am just doing a little each year.
I am starting a small area on the West end of the garden that is for flowers. I have a few bulbs over there that I have had for a while. I have some daylilies that actually belonged to my Great Grandmother. Jess was making fun of me a little that I actually had real "Heirloom flowers" but I think it's cool. They have been in our family for three generations now. I also have some lilies that the kids got me for Mother's Day about 6 years ago, still going strong.
Last year I added some Easter lilies that my mom got me for Easter, and they are coming up nicely too. Then I purchased some peonies. I am SUPER excited for these, since they didn't come up last year and this is the first year I get to see them. I haven't seen the flowers yet, because they are still in buds, but even the foliage on the flowers are beautiful. If that's all I get I will be happy. I also planted some iris, but I have yet to see them - they will come up later in the season (I hope ;o)
This year I added some different variety of lilies, and some dalias. I will more than likely not see them until next year, but I will be looking forward to it!
I am also playing around with some old scrap concrete that I have out back and making some "walk-ways". It is helping to break up the space a little bit and make it look more decorative. Aaron likes it so much he thinks I should add two more like this, but I'm not sure. I'll see how it goes this year: I still want a big chunk of space for my veggies!
Oh ya, and last year I tried something else and planted two grape plants. (You can see them at the end of the brick road in the top picture). I don't know how long you have to have them before you actually get grapes, but the foliage is coming back nicely, so if nothing else I will have a couple of pretty vines in there.
I am super excited for the way my garden is starting to shape up. I know it will take years to get it how I want it, but the journey is half the fun. Coming up with new things each year to add to it and make it my own little paradise. I just hope the weather makes it so that I can have a bit of success!
2 comments:
We put our garden in a couple days ago too. We are trying something knew for weed control this year and I thought I would share it with you if your weeds are out of control. Most of our neighbors do this and we never knew until last fall. They take the clippings from mowing there lawn and spread it all out around there plants. I am talking the vegetable garden part. It apparently keeps the weeds from growing. You don't want in on your plants because it will kill you plants too. But down the sides of your rows or around you plants. We will see how it works this year and let you know...unless you decide to experiment too:) I love having a garden for flowers too though. We planted three more daisies that our friends gave us and they are giving us more day lilies too! I am excited. Good luck with your garden!!
I have tried the grass thing before - it works okay. I remember not liking it though because it looked like I needed to mow my garden and I didn't like that. I was actually going to try and get my hands on some straw mulch this year. Same concept, but it looks nicer (You know, I'm going for looks this year ;o). It also helps in the composting for the following year.... grass does too!
Post a Comment