The adventures, experiences and happenings of our lives

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Canning Carrots

Jess needs to get some service hours for her culminating project for HS graduation and for some scholarships she is applying for. Of course, true to nature, she drug me along with her. That's okay, it was some good bonding time while we sat for 3 hours drying and labeling cans of carrots.

The King County Food Coalition teamed up with Northwest Harvest, the LDS Cannery, United Way of King County and Rotary First Harvest to can extra produce for the local food banks. We were down at the Kent LDS cannery, who was donating their facilities to the cause. Our jobs? I, with about 6 other people, dried all of the aluminum cans after coming out of the hot baths. What a wonderfully monotonous job! Jess then took the amazingly dry cans and fed them into the can labeler. I think she got the best job at the gig, but we still had a bunch of fun being together, serving others and meeting some fun people.

I almost brought home my sexy hair net thinking it might be a fun and kinky addition to my love life. Last minute I changed my mind. Oh well, we will be back again next week for our second session, maybe I'll change my mind then ;o). Wonder what we will be canning?

2 comments:

Hamblin Family said...

The hair net could only add something!!

Kathy said...

that's what I was thinking :P