The adventures, experiences and happenings of our lives

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Getting Jess

Jess called me worried that she was not going to be able to get home for the Thanksgiving holiday. The pass was a mess, and all she has is the little Sentra to drive - that definitely would never make it over the pass with all of the restrictions. Well, I needed to get new tires and chains for the Pathfinder anyway, in preparation for our drive this Christmas, so now is as good as time as any.

I spent all morning getting the car ready. I always go to the Big O' Tires next to our house for all of our tire needs. They were SO good to me on this day. I explained what was going on and he got me in right away, had new tires on my car in less than an hour, and sold me a set of chains he had sitting in the back for $20! Can you  believe it?! They definitely have won my ultimate loyalty.

Then off I went. It took me three hours to get to Jess: normally this drive takes just under two hours. It was quite a mess up there, but I made it unscathed.

Here's what the pass looked like - not too horrible, and very doable with my wonderful 4WD. (I LOVE my car!) It was Jess's birthday, and this was my birthday present to her.

We took off right away to try to get over the pass again before it closed. We didn't take off quite fast enough. We got stuck in Cle Elum for an hour due to avalanche control closures. I got a little bite to eat and then we just sat, and sat and sat. UGH!! Once the pass did reopen, it was SO slow going. It took me 5 HOURS to get the girls home - and the roads really weren't even that bad. I never even had to put my car into 4WD the entire time, there are just a lot of really stupid people out there I guess.

But 10 hours later, with new tires on the car and chains in the back for this Christmas, I had the girls safe and sound at home.
Happy Birthday to you Jess!

No comments: